Want to receive job alerts or check on the progress of your application? Use our careers portal!
Working at Hill Laboratories
Hill Laboratories employs over 450 staff in New Zealand. As a company, we are firmly committed to developing our people, and fully support staff in gaining varied technical experiences throughout the company.
At Hill Laboratories, there are many different career pathways to choose from. Each offers an exciting, challenging, rewarding, team-oriented environment from which to grow your skills, knowledge and career.
Operationally, our business is structured into four sections: Agriculture, Environmental, Food and Microbiology. Within each of these sections is where samples are processed by our laboratory and instrument technicians. These teams are assisted by sample reception, dispatch, operational support, quality and analytical technology teams, and overseen by team leaders and section managers.
Our commercial team is split by function. We have a client services and key accounts team overseen by market sector managers, and in-house administration, finance, human resources and marketing teams.
We also have a large group of business analysts, IT, software developers and researchers that underpin our operational and commercial structures.
- Learning and development opportunities
- Company wide reward and recognition programme - PIHA
- Represent the company at events such as Fieldays and University Careers Fairs
- Staff discounts on company services
- Employee cafeteria with free tea, coffee and hot chocolate.
- In-house cafe and barista (Hamilton)
- Free wi-fi in the cafe (Hamilton)
Close to local cafes and great coffee! (Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch)
- Company wellness initiatives
- Free annual flu vaccinations
- Our team at the Hamilton Branch are free to use the gym and pool services at Fast Lane Fitness
- Access to Medical Insurance Group Scheme discounts and promotions
- EAP services for professional advice or counselling
- Staff sports teams e.g. cricket, indoor netball, football, lawn bowls
- Organised corporate social activities e.g. Tough Guy & Gal
- National fundraising events for charities e.g. Cancer Society Daffodil Day
- Internal team challenges e.g. Amazing Race
- Staff quiz nights
Annual Christmas Party and Family BBQ
Our head office and main laboratory, the Duke Street lab is where 350 of our staff are based. Four Hamilton locations were condensed into one bespoke, purpose built facility in August 2017. The lab is 7000m2 in size and accommodates our agriculture, environmental, food and microbiology testing laboratories, as well as all support services such as Administration and Finance, IT, Software Development, Commercial and Human Resources.
Our second largest site, the Waterloo Road lab employs 60 staff across agriculture, environmental and microbiology labs, as well as a smaller Commercial team.
The lab, based out in Grovetown Park, employs 10 staff who process wine and microbiology samples.
Opened in 2016, our Grafton Road lab processes Asbestos samples only. It is situated near the University, Auckland Domain and great cafes, and is close to good transport links.
Opened in April 2018, our Thorndon Quay lab processes Asbestos samples only. At the northern end of the city centre, the lab is close to the Beehive, Westpac Stadium and great cafes.
BAY OF PLENTY
Opened in April 2020, our Mount Maunganui lab is purpose built for the maturity and leaf testing of Kiwifruit each season. The beach, bayfrair and great cafes are only a short drive away.
Hill Laboratories is passionate about providing career pathways for future scientists all over New Zealand. At our main laboratory in Hamilton, we work with WINTEC Centre for Science and Primary Industries and the University of Waikato Science and Engineering Faculty to place students as part of their degree throughout the year.
Casual or summer vacation work is often filled by placement students. However, these types of roles are also advertised on our Careers portal as they become available.
Help Desk Administrator
Quality Manager - Regulatory
Blenheim Laboratory Site Manager